|Portable Generator Safety Guidelines
|By PIO Doug Alexander
|January 3, 2024
Thunderstorms, high winds, downed power lines, heavy snowfalls and utility company blackouts can all lead to power outages. Many people turn to a gasoline powered portable generator for a temporary solution. Due to the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning from a portable generator being used inside of a home, the Mount Airy Volunteer Fire Company, and the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office encourage the public to be aware of the risks of using portable generators and to take due precautions.
Generators should be used in well-ventilated locations outside away from all doors, windows, and vent openings.
Never use a generator in an attached garage, even with the door open.
Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling. Never refuel a generator while it is hot.
Store gasoline away from the generator.